Solid effort, mate! The sheet looks very neat. And the character is certainly intriguing!
Thanks! I've added my adaptations of the other two sample characters from the free download to the original post. I've taken some liberties with them, especially with the tracks..which I reduced to three generic ones "Bravery, Sanity and one wild-card (usually loyalty, be it to a group or organisation)
It was an interesting exercise, although I noticed some discrepancies in the attribute focuses, which didn't match, not quite sure this was by design or not?
I'm still to be convinced about how easily this skill system will work in play, since, although I like the "loose" descriptors*, it does mean that there will be far more adjudication of behalf of the GM.
However, I'll try and pre-gen a couple of other characters, then run a short taster game at our gaming club to see how it works out.
* for the same reason, I'm not convinced about the current intended application of the focuses... I can see it being abused, to the point that their effect would make it simpler to raise all the attributes by one. My own feeling is that they should instead be "triggered" and the player then gets a +2 bonus (instead of +1). However, if the test using that bonus then fails, then the character must use a point of strain. I'd also increase the strain points available by adding pairs of stats together before then referencing the same table to determine strain e.g. sum psyche + cognition for MENTAL, coordination + physique for PHYSICAL
I think you're quite right, the GM will certainly need to be at the helm of things. Easy enough for me, as my players don't even touch their stats during RPG sessions - just character creation and between sessions.
But yeah, this is some great playtesting there, mate.
Post by grinnenbaeritt on Oct 22, 2019 14:44:35 GMT
Had a chance to run a "taster" scenario as a "convention" game (roughly 4 hours).... but using a "trimmed V3 Version".... slightly house-ruled.
1. I only used characters that had one focus per attribute. When making the characters I limited the focus options to two per attribute
2. I marginally increased the amount of Strain available (both mental and both Physical were summed before looking at the table)
3. An applicable bonus from a focus was +1, however could be increased to +2. This +2 bonus was "free" if the combined stat & skill wasn't greater than 5 and the resulting check was a success.
However, if the combined stat & skill was 6+, or a check was failed, then it cost one strain of the appropriate type..
The play-test was very successful. Two of the 4 players had played the system several times before (v2), they liked the reduced amount of attributes, but commented that the "vagueness" in having focuses could lead to issues... especially when combined with the more all-encompassing descriptive skill-usage and interpreting which might be used. One expressed a preference for more rigid skills descriptors.
I'll post the scenario here, with the characters (once I've tidied them up. They are not "official" because I guessed at a lot of the generation stuff )